Tuesday, May 17, 2011

One Handed Rodeo - Part 1

So before I get started, I just want to let you know that this is a 2 part blog, only thee first part will be included in this post though. The first part is about the races that were in Medford and all the good/bad things that happened; and the second part is about things that I've been thinking about and things that I have realized in the couple months since I've last posted. :)



Part 1: An orange trailer, black suburban and small dog. Two people, two bikes, one goal: to race hard, place well and get home safe; ready for another race in 2 weeks. Well, most all of it happened like planned.

We were planning to leave friday morning at about 8am. I'm really not sure why my dad wanted to leave so early, but that was his plan. Well thank goodness things didn't go as planned and we didn't have to leave until 11am. I hate being late anywhere, but I hate being early too. So we left Bend, all its cold/nasty/yucky/snowing-ness and headed to warmer weather. The drive down was really nice. We took hwy 97 down to hwy 62, which is near to crater lake, then into medford where we headed up to the prairie to drop the trailer. When we started up the gravel road we noticed right away that it had recently had a face lift and was smoother and easier than the last time we attempted the road in 2009. 'ZOOM!' Right on up the road we go right past the MRA lower staging area, the dam and bicycle trails until we see the sign hanging in the trees welcoming all the riders and families. We pulled into the middle tier to park and the first person we saw was Joe Stagg, Mr. Trials-man himself (who rides a husabug too).

We said our hello's, talked about the course and after awhile, decided to go into Medford and get ahold of our homie to meet up for dinner. After driving around to find a Dollar Store (to get Miss Elleigh a collar and leash, which she conveniently forgot), a Fred Meyers, and a gas station, We headed over to Olive Garden to chow on some carbs before the race saturday morning. The portabella di ravioli hit the spot for me and my dad enjoyed a plate of spaghetti with chicken Parmesan while we chatted with our family friend for a couple hours. Knowing that Jason and Mary were on their way, we decided to head back up to the prairie before it got too dark to do some last minute oil/gas mixing and see who had shown up.

When we arrived back at the prairie, our camping buddies had successfully set up their tent and were waiting for us to get back. We talked for awhile and decided to hit the hay as I was getting tired and battling a massive headache. My dad blew up his air mattress and I made my bed and we crawled into the back of the suburban for a good nights sleep, all the while, praying it wouldn't rain on the tent-dwellers. Then the people started pulling in. We saw headlights, tail lights and back up lights often throughout the night.

Saturday morning I open my eyes and see that it isn't quite light but not quite considered dark anymore. I decided it wasn't worth getting up that early and Ell was not in any mood to go outside yet. I laid back down and after catching another hour of sleep, I started hearing voices outside, and once I know people are around, I cant sleep anymore. I pried Elleigh out of bed and took her to use the grass and saw a super cute little 'Casita' trailer parked next to us. The truck looked familiar and I looked into the window of the trailer and there was Tom and Donna eating their breakfast! They said they had gotten there pretty late, and even had to go to through a party to make it.

After catching up on lost time and stories, My dad says we should probably get ready to race and make sure all the registration was in order. We head up the stairs and see the fire is starting to burn and grab a spot to warm our frozen piggies. I started looking around and noticed that one of my most amazing friends, Cheryl, is getting things ready to go for sign up. I fill out the needed papers and head over to first, say hello to the crew; second, make sure I'm good to race in 2 hours and third, get a hug. :) We talk for a few minutes, then all the other racers start heading up to get their paper duties finished and I walk down to make sure that my bike is in running order. I put on my gear, kiss my dog good-bye and head up to the riders meeting. It was short, sweet and to the point; followed by a great prayer by Ellis Cookman.

I hop on my trusty steed and head over to the starting line. I line up with the 200 am's and another class(i think). I watch the first 6 rows take off and next thing I know, its my turn to go! I had found a good rock to make up for the shortness that I posses and it was placed in a good spot beneath my foot, or so I thought. 'Vroom', my bike starts on the first kick, I'm thinking, 'Oh yeah, lets go!' and the next thing I know my bike is tipping over as the other bikes are going forward. I say a few choice words, my face burning the whole time and pick up my bike(still running), hop on and try my darndest to catch up to my row(By the way, rumor has it there is a video). I focused on getting out of the motocross section and get lost as fast as possible. I don't remember much from the race, I know I passed some folks, got passed a few times and did 2 complete laps and only the top 3 AA guys had passed me by the time I finished. I was stoked! I had ended up 2nd in my class and 82nd overall. I was a little disappointed, but not overly so knowing there was another race the next day.

It rained, it rained and it rained and it rained. All night long. Every time I woke up, it was raining. I was NOT looking forward to a mud mess at all. I get up, throw on my gear, attend the riders meeting, listen to another great prayer. Get a bunch of good-lucks and squeeze my way into the 200 am/30 am row. I got a decent start and held my own until we get a couple miles in, where I dump it. I take off my goggles, stuff them into my chest protector and get on my way racing again. I see Reid and Karissa standing at one of the road crossing so I chuck my goggles at them hoping they knew what my thinking was as I shook my head. I was having fun, but it could have been way better. I complete one lap, go into the pits where I get fuel, grab a drink of electrolytes and fresh gloves and head out into the battle field again. I feel great. I was pluggin' right along, passing people I was trying to catch and 'BOOM!'. I hit a tree with my handgaurd, I try to save it and a stump caught my front tire which stopped the forward momentum of my bike, but not me.

We were riding down a rather narrow trail with water bars, which is what stopped me from sliding any further. I laid there for a few seconds thinking that I was done with racing for a long while. I was heart-broken, mad and embarrassed beyond belief. I told so many people I wouldn't get hurt and that I would be smart when I raced. I heard another bike coming so I moved out of the way. The guy stopped, laid his bike down, moved my bike, made sure I was ok, and let himself be passed by someone in his class before he left to finish his race. I was so grateful someone had stopped (I have no idea who you are, so if you read this, THANK YOU!). I got back on my bike and Tyler Foley stopped and asked if I was alright too. I told him I was and he took off. Not long after, I decided that I need to finish, even if it took me all day. So I took off sitting down and made sure I kept going forward. My right thigh was burning, my right forearm, my left hand both hurt horribly and my left eye was kind of fuzzy. About 5 miles later of sitting down and praying for no broken bones, all my pain disappeared and I was able to race full out like I had been earlier. I finished the second and final lap after being passed by 4 or 5AA riders.

Then it hit me, my hand was killing me and I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. I have never felt something so horrible in my life. I'm not gonna lie, it made me cry. It just plain hurt! I changed my clothes, which was a chore, put on make up and brushed my hair. My dad didn't know I had made it in, so he was surprised when I was at the trailer and he didn't think I had finished. I told him I did, just that I crashed. We loaded our trailer and headed up to stand by the fire to wait for race results. It was still raining.

The riders kept trickling in and after awhile the orange-vested riders(sweeps) arrived and said the course had been cleared and the results began emerging. The printer was on high speed as they had quite a few classes to print out, then it quit, on my class results. So, the lovely Cheryl, had to write them by hand for the last 4 classes that didn't print. I had gotten 5th, to say the least I wasn't happy at all. Oh well, its just racing I told myself, but I still wasn't happy. I was sad to leave as I won't see some of the people at the race for quite a few months, but it made me look forward to the next race.

We descended the hill, found a Carls Jr for grub and hopped on the highway to head home. We were just leaving town and saw a familiar truck in front of us so we pulled up and, believe it or not, it was Mr. Dan Bolin heading home the same direction as us. With Devan riding in another truck behind us; our caravan was headed home through the snowy forest near Crater Lake, and sure enough, it started snowing hard. I closed my eyes and thought about all the fun conversations, the new friends and amazing memories that had been made that weekend. It was a great weekend and even though I had a heckuva time sunday, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Now your wondering about my hand, well, I'm not really sure. The EMT at the race looked at it and said he thought it was broke. I don't think it is. I have full range of motion back in it and even though it is still painful, I can touch it without wincing in pain. It is swollen, but no visible bruises. I bought a wrist/hand splint today and it seems to help allot. I have been icing and heating it also continuously as well as taking Aleve for the pain. I am planning on racing this weekend at Prineville and next weekend in Ridgecrest, Ca. at the national. I think it will be fine by then. If it doesn't have any more improvements by thursday, I promise to go to the doctor to have it x-rayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment